BJP national secy appointed party`s TN unit president
Chennai: BJP on Saturday appointed its national secretary, Dr Tamilisai Sounderrajan, as the party`s Tamil Nadu unit president. She replaces Pon Radhakrishnan.
The 53-year-old medical professional was nominated to the post by party president Amit Shah in Delhi, BJP said in a release.
Daughter of veteran Congress leader Kumari Ananthan, she becomes the first woman president of Tamil Nadu BJP. Although hailing from a traditionally Congress family, her father being a former TNCC president, Sounderrajan, however, decided to join BJP.
An orator and writer, Sounderrajan started her political career in her student days. She has earlier unsuccessfully contested Assembly and parliamentary polls.
A former state vice-president and general secretary, she will take over from the incumbent Radhakrishnan, who is in the middle of his second term, after he was inducted in the Narendra Modi Cabinet upon winning from the Kanyakumari Lok Sabha constituency in the just-concluded general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state