BJP not to contest Yercaud bypoll
Chennai: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday announced it has decided not to contest the Dec 4 by-election for the Yercaud Assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu.
On the issue of extending its support or taking a different stand, the BJP said it would decide after seeing the parties and the candidates in the fray.
In a statement issued here, the party`s state chief Pon Radhakrishnan said party`s central committee also discussed DMK president M Karunanidhi`s appeal for support for his party`s candidate in the by-election.
A senior party leader preferring anonymity said that the BJP is targeting the 2014 general elections and building up the momentum for that.
A loss before the general election will be a negative factor, said the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman