BJP not to contest Yercaud bypoll
Chennai: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday announced it has decided not to contest the Dec 4 by-election for the Yercaud Assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu.
On the issue of extending its support or taking a different stand, the BJP said it would decide after seeing the parties and the candidates in the fray.
In a statement issued here, the party`s state chief Pon Radhakrishnan said party`s central committee also discussed DMK president M Karunanidhi`s appeal for support for his party`s candidate in the by-election.
A senior party leader preferring anonymity said that the BJP is targeting the 2014 general elections and building up the momentum for that.
A loss before the general election will be a negative factor, said the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened