BJP not to contest Yercaud bypoll
Chennai: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday announced it has decided not to contest the Dec 4 by-election for the Yercaud Assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu.
On the issue of extending its support or taking a different stand, the BJP said it would decide after seeing the parties and the candidates in the fray.
In a statement issued here, the party`s state chief Pon Radhakrishnan said party`s central committee also discussed DMK president M Karunanidhi`s appeal for support for his party`s candidate in the by-election.
A senior party leader preferring anonymity said that the BJP is targeting the 2014 general elections and building up the momentum for that.
A loss before the general election will be a negative factor, said the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez