BJP not to contest Yercaud bypoll
Chennai: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Thursday announced it has decided not to contest the Dec 4 by-election for the Yercaud Assembly constituency in Tamil Nadu.
On the issue of extending its support or taking a different stand, the BJP said it would decide after seeing the parties and the candidates in the fray.
In a statement issued here, the party`s state chief Pon Radhakrishnan said party`s central committee also discussed DMK president M Karunanidhi`s appeal for support for his party`s candidate in the by-election.
A senior party leader preferring anonymity said that the BJP is targeting the 2014 general elections and building up the momentum for that.
A loss before the general election will be a negative factor, said the leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi