BJP optimistic of alliance with DMDK
Tiruchirappalli: BJP on Friday said it was optimistic about an alliance with actor-turned-politician Vijayakant`s DMDK ahead of Lok Sabha elections.
Party`s state unit President Pon Radhakrishna said BJP would form a "strong alliance".
Preliminary discussions were on with DMDK, the principal opposition in the Tamil Nadu assembly, and a decision was expected by auspicious Tamil month "Thai" which commences on January 15, he told reporters here.
"We will welcome any party which wants to dethrone the Congress-led corrupt UPA Government and support Narendra Modi`s candidature for Prime Ministership," he said.
With both the DMK and AIADMK deciding to contest the Lok Sabha polls on their own, BJP has been eyeing to form an alliance comprising other parties such as DMDK, Vaiko`s MDMK and PMK.
Vaiko had earlier this week said that preliminary talks were held with the BJP leaders on the alliance.
Radhakrishnan said he was also confident of an alliance with the PMK.
He said Modi was likely to visit Tamil Nadu after February 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore