BJP seeks all party meet over Mullaperiyar issue
Chennai: Slamming Kerala government for escalation of the Mullaperiyar Dam row, Tamil Nadu unit of BJP on Tuesday appealed to Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to convene an all party meeting in the state to discuss the issue.
"What we need today is a mutual understanding between
states... country`s integration is need of the hour... an all
party meeting should be immediately convened on the
(Mullaperiyar Dam) issue...," state unit president Pon
Radhakrishnan told reporters here.
Referring to continuing protests near the dam site, he
said some "miscreants" were involved in creating ruckus for
their "political gains".
Accusing the Centre of not being concerned, he demanded
"dismissal" of the Kerala government for not implementing the
Supreme Court`s order allowing Tamil Nadu to increase water
level from the present 136 feet to 142 feet.
He said if Kerala wanted it could construct a new dam
after the expiry of the 999 year lease agreement entered into
with Tamil Nadu for sharing Mullaperiyar water.
He said senior BJP leaders were closely monitoring the
issue and would take appropriate steps at the right time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read