BJP seeks all party meet over Mullaperiyar issue
Chennai: Slamming Kerala government for escalation of the Mullaperiyar Dam row, Tamil Nadu unit of BJP on Tuesday appealed to Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to convene an all party meeting in the state to discuss the issue.
"What we need today is a mutual understanding between
states... country`s integration is need of the hour... an all
party meeting should be immediately convened on the
(Mullaperiyar Dam) issue...," state unit president Pon
Radhakrishnan told reporters here.
Referring to continuing protests near the dam site, he
said some "miscreants" were involved in creating ruckus for
their "political gains".
Accusing the Centre of not being concerned, he demanded
"dismissal" of the Kerala government for not implementing the
Supreme Court`s order allowing Tamil Nadu to increase water
level from the present 136 feet to 142 feet.
He said if Kerala wanted it could construct a new dam
after the expiry of the 999 year lease agreement entered into
with Tamil Nadu for sharing Mullaperiyar water.
He said senior BJP leaders were closely monitoring the
issue and would take appropriate steps at the right time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP