BJP seeks all party meet over Mullaperiyar issue
Chennai: Slamming Kerala government for escalation of the Mullaperiyar Dam row, Tamil Nadu unit of BJP on Tuesday appealed to Chief Minister Jayalalithaa to convene an all party meeting in the state to discuss the issue.
"What we need today is a mutual understanding between
states... country`s integration is need of the hour... an all
party meeting should be immediately convened on the
(Mullaperiyar Dam) issue...," state unit president Pon
Radhakrishnan told reporters here.
Referring to continuing protests near the dam site, he
said some "miscreants" were involved in creating ruckus for
their "political gains".
Accusing the Centre of not being concerned, he demanded
"dismissal" of the Kerala government for not implementing the
Supreme Court`s order allowing Tamil Nadu to increase water
level from the present 136 feet to 142 feet.
He said if Kerala wanted it could construct a new dam
after the expiry of the 999 year lease agreement entered into
with Tamil Nadu for sharing Mullaperiyar water.
He said senior BJP leaders were closely monitoring the
issue and would take appropriate steps at the right time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zika virus may spread sexually from asymptomatic man to woman, claims study
- Delhi constable murder: All three culprits arrested
- Now KRK gets in on the act, blasts Piers Morgan for tweeting about PM Modi
- Seven killed in road accident in Uttar Pradesh's Ambedkarnagar
- Searching for weekend get aways in South? Give it a look