Body of an Indian victim of UK attack arrives home to Namakkal
Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu): The body of an Indian attacked in Britain arrived home on Wednesday, after 45 days after the incident.
Twenty-three-year-old Saravana Kumar Sellappan, who hailed from a small village in Namakkal district of Tamil Nadu, went to UK as a student two years ago and took up part time job in a private petrol bunk.
A gang of three men attacked Saravana on October 6 and robbed him at Thornton heath. On October 19 he succumbed to serious head injuries in the assault.
After various attempts made by his family, Saravana`s body finally reached Coimbatore yesterday.
The World Tamil Organisation, a UK based charity, raised 8,000 pounds to bring the body back to India.
"When I went to approach the Indian High Commission, no one gave the right answer. Our President Pratibha Patil visited London at that time. The majority of officers said that we are busy with President`s visit,’ said Jacob Ravibalan, the president of the organisation.
“Then, I spoke to the people for financial support because it`s quite expensive. One of the officers called Pawan Kumar told me we have given 500 rupees, which are just six pounds here. It`s really a shame in part of Indian community because India being one of the world`s biggest democratic country, such behaviour by Indian High Commission is unaccepted," Ravibalan added.
The body was later taken by road to his hometown in Namakkal district for performing last rites and cremation. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview