Body of Army Major killed in Kashmir arrives in Chennai
Chennai: The body of Major Mukund Varadarajan, who was killed along with a jawan in an encounter with militants in Shopian district of south Kashmir on Friday, arrived here by a flight Sunday night.
The coffin draped with the national flag and floral wreaths from senior army officials arrived at the domestic terminal by an Air India flight from Delhi at around 11.45 PM, police said.
Family members received the body, which has been kept at the military hospital at St Thomas Mount.
The cremation is expected to take place at Besant Nagar area here tomorrow with full military honours.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today had ordered Rs 10 lakh solatium to members of the bereaved family and also written to the Major`s wife, extending condolences and calling the young officer "a brave son" and "courageous soldier."
The Major, a native of nearby Tambaram, joined 22 Rajput after training at Officers` Training Academy here. He had been deployed with the 44 Rashtriya Rifles for counter-insurgency operations in Shopian.
The encounter, in which the Major and the jawan were killed, ended yesterday. Bodies of three militants were also recovered.
Security forces had launched search operations in Karewa Malino in Shopian, 55 km from Srinagar on April 25 on information about presence of three Hizb-ul Mujahideen militants.
The militants were asked to surrender but resorted to firing, triggering the gunfight.
Shopian is part of Anantnag Parliamentary constituency and the encounter took place a day after militants attacked a polling party escorted by police and CRPF in the district at the end of the voting on Thursday.
One polling officer was killed while five others, including three security personnel, were injured in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?