‘BrahMos air variant to be tested before 2012 end’
Chennai: India will test the air variant
of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile before the end of 2012, a
top official of BrahMos Aerospace said on Monday.
"We are going to test the missile from air so that it
can be inducted into the Indian Air Force. The testing will be
done before the end of 2012," Brahmos Aerospace Chief
Executive Officer A Sivathanu Pillai told reporters here.
BrahMos has already been inducted into the Army and
the Navy after successful tests.
Pillai said the Defence Research Development
Organisation (DRDO) was working on increasing the speed of its
missiles. "We are also working on achieving hypersonic speed.
It will take some five years from now."
Former President and missile expert APJ Abdul Kalam
had recently asked the BrahMos Aerospace to "develop an
hypersonic version" that should be able to deliver its payload
and return to base.
The cruise missiles developed by BrahMos, a joint
venture between India and Russia, can travel at speeds of Mach
2.8 (2.8 times the speed of sound) against US` Tomahawk at 0.8
Mach, he said.
India is the only country to have a supersonic cruise
missile developed in a joint venture with Russia and the
maiden launch of BrahMos was carried out a decade ago at the
Interim Test Range at Chandipur-on-sea in Orissa.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata