Bring electoral, police reforms, to check sexual assault: Bedi
Coimbatore: Former IPS officer turned social activist Kiran Bedi on Monday said the Centre should have respected all aspects of the Justice Verma recommendations while framing a law on sexual assault without `cherry-picking` on various points.
She said though she had not gone through the just promulgated Ordinance to amend the criminal law with focus on crimes against women, government should have taken into consideration all aspects, including electoral (Representation of People`s Act) and police reforms as suggested in the recommendations, to make it more effective.
"Unless these reforms are incorporated, there is no use by only one law on sexual assault alone. The implementation part, like role of politicians and police, should have been brought comprehensively in the ordinance," she said.
Without `cherry-picking`, Government should have brought in a comprehensive ordinance, including electoral and police reforms by accepting the recommendations, Bedi, here to launch an entrepreneurship development cell, said.
However, one would come to know the `real face` of the bill once it reaches Parliament, where there would be more amendments and chances for improvement, she said.
Stating that "something is better than nothing at this juncture" Bedi said, Anna Hazare expects everything at a single go, resulting in him terming the amended Lokpal Bill as a "farce" and betrayal by the Government.
There is hope for a better bill in future and this was a beginning towards a better system as government has taken steps like appointing a Lok Pal by a five-member collegium and Lok Ayuktas in all states, she said.
"Tamil Nadu does not have a Lok Ayukta and there is need for Anna Hazares in every state where there is no such body," Bedi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- Grand Alliance set to win Bihar election: Survey
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?