Cabinet decides on ST status for `Narikuravas` of Tamil Nadu
Chennai: The Centre has taken a favourable decision on the demand for enlisting Narikuravas, a gypsy community living in Tamil Nadu, in the Scheduled Tribes list, Shipping Minister G K Vasan said here on Saturday.
"On the request made by the Narikurava community to enlist them in the ST list of the Centre, the Cabinet had taken a decision favourable to them in its meeting last month," Vasan told reporters here.
Earlier, he met fishermen from Tamil Nadu, who demanded that boats secured by the Sri Lankan naval personnel be returned to them at the earliest.
"Once External Affairs Minister is back from his foreign visit, I would insist him to take steps so that boats are returned to the fishermen by the Sri Lankan government."
To a query on the political alliance in Tamil Nadu for the general elections in 2014, he said, "Congress is facing five Assembly polls in the country. So, our focus is on that. Needless to say, we aim to win all of them. Side by side, we are strengthening our party in other states also."
"We will take stock of the situation in December and accordingly decisions would be taken to form a strong secular alliance for the polls," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed