Campaign for abolition of death penalty
Coimbatore: Political parties and human rights
organisations, championing the cause of Eelam Tamils, will
demand abolition of the death penalty and repealing death
sentence against three assassins of former Prime Minister
Rajiv Gandhi at a one-day conference here on November 6.
Being organised under banner of Peoples` Movement against
Genocide in Sri Lanka, it will be attended among others by
Tamil National Movement leader P Nedumaran, MDMK General
Secertary, Vaiko, CPI National Secretary and MP, D Raja and
Arputham Ammal, mother of Perarivalan, one of the three
awarded death sentence.
Convenor of the movement`s state unit, Gana Kurinji told
reporters here that the focus is to carry the message the
world over and to draw the attention of all concerned, for
immediate action on the matter.
Besides demand for abolition of death sentence, the
convention would seek Internatioinal intervention to demand
justice against `war crimes` and alleged crimes against
humanity committed against Tamils in Sri Lanka, she said.
The conference also would demand ensuring immediate
relief, rehabilitation and resolution for the suffering Tamils
in camps in the Island Nation, he said.
This would be taken up as a national campaign, focussing
on strengthening the movement against death penalty and
promoting self determination of the struggling people in South
Asia, he said.
"The convention is significant, particularly in the
backdrop of the ongoing debate and litigations following the
rejection of the mercy petitions filed by the assassins,
Peravivalan, Santhan and Murugan," Kurinji said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state