Campaign for abolition of death penalty
Coimbatore: Political parties and human rights
organisations, championing the cause of Eelam Tamils, will
demand abolition of the death penalty and repealing death
sentence against three assassins of former Prime Minister
Rajiv Gandhi at a one-day conference here on November 6.
Being organised under banner of Peoples` Movement against
Genocide in Sri Lanka, it will be attended among others by
Tamil National Movement leader P Nedumaran, MDMK General
Secertary, Vaiko, CPI National Secretary and MP, D Raja and
Arputham Ammal, mother of Perarivalan, one of the three
awarded death sentence.
Convenor of the movement`s state unit, Gana Kurinji told
reporters here that the focus is to carry the message the
world over and to draw the attention of all concerned, for
immediate action on the matter.
Besides demand for abolition of death sentence, the
convention would seek Internatioinal intervention to demand
justice against `war crimes` and alleged crimes against
humanity committed against Tamils in Sri Lanka, she said.
The conference also would demand ensuring immediate
relief, rehabilitation and resolution for the suffering Tamils
in camps in the Island Nation, he said.
This would be taken up as a national campaign, focussing
on strengthening the movement against death penalty and
promoting self determination of the struggling people in South
Asia, he said.
"The convention is significant, particularly in the
backdrop of the ongoing debate and litigations following the
rejection of the mercy petitions filed by the assassins,
Peravivalan, Santhan and Murugan," Kurinji said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister