Cargo plane lands in Chennai with AK-47 rifles from Dubai
Chennai: A mysterious consignment of 10
AK-47 rifles along with telescopes landed here in a cargo
plane three days ago and now security agencies are hot on
trail of a man from Uttar Pradesh.
Yusuf, a resident of Varanasi and a Customs Clearing
agent here, is on the run and the police are looking for him
after a person to whom the cargo was addressed claimed he had
nothing to do with it.
The cargo plane from Dubai landed at Anna International
Airport on February 20 and the consignment including 10 rifle
scope (AK-47 rifles and telescopes) was marked for a person
identified as Vijayan, official sources said here today.
They said the Customs department registered a case and
carried out a thorough check of the cargo after which it
summoned Vijayan and his customs clearing agent Yusuf.
There was no mention about the presence of arms in the
inventory by the cargo company, they said.
While Vijayan, who had arrived here from Dubai on
February 12, pleaded ignorance about the arms, his clearing
agent did not turn up for questioning.
Raids were carried out at various places to trace Yusuf,
but no breakthrough has been achieved so far.
The Uttar Pradesh police has been informed about the
case and efforts were on to nab him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference