Cargo ship crew not under detention: TN Police
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Police on Tuesday
informed the Madras High Court that the crew members of a sunk
cargo vessel from Panama have not been detained as alleged by
a global workers body but only accommodated in a star hotel
with adequate protection.
Police said the eight crew members of MV Mirach, which
sank off Manavalakurichi coast in the state on April 4 while
on a voyage from Vishakapattinam to Karachi in Pakistan
carrying iron ore, were healthy and being provided food.
There was no illegal detention and the sailors have
been accommodated in hotel by the shipping company itself.
There was no objection to anyone meeting them, Manavalakurichi
Police said in its counter-affidavit to the petition by K
Sreekumar of the International Transport Workers Federation
(ITWF) seeking their release.
MV Mirach, registered in the Republic of Panama, hit a
rock due to bad weather condition and got stranded on March
29. It sank on April 4 after all efforts to redeem it failed,
the counter said.
Sreekumar had submitted that the police had illegally
detained eight persons from the crew after releasing 15
Justices S Rajeswaran and GM Akbar Ali of the high
court bench here who heard the case adjourned it to June 17.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says