Cash for votes: EC watching situation "closely"
Chennai: Expressing `serious concern` over
incidents of money being distributed to voters, the Election
Commission today said it was watching the situation `closely,`
and warned of stern action if the incidents repeated.
"In some constituencies incidents of distribution of cash
or gifts to lure voters have been detected. EC has viewed it
with serious concern as not conducive to conduct of free and
fair elections," Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen
Kumar said in a release.
The EC was watching the situation "closely and in case the
incidents are repeated, it shall be constrained to take stern
measures as may become necessary."
Calling Tamil Nadu a "challenging case", the EC had said it
cannot "close its eyes to rampant malpractices" there.It also
rejected the charge levelled by DMK and PMK that it has
imposed emergency in the state.
The Commission has enforced stringent measures to curb
use of money power in the current round of assembly elections
in states, especially in Tamil Nadu, where there has been
widespread attempts to bribe voters by paying them cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!