Cash for votes: EC watching situation "closely"
Chennai: Expressing `serious concern` over
incidents of money being distributed to voters, the Election
Commission today said it was watching the situation `closely,`
and warned of stern action if the incidents repeated.
"In some constituencies incidents of distribution of cash
or gifts to lure voters have been detected. EC has viewed it
with serious concern as not conducive to conduct of free and
fair elections," Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer Praveen
Kumar said in a release.
The EC was watching the situation "closely and in case the
incidents are repeated, it shall be constrained to take stern
measures as may become necessary."
Calling Tamil Nadu a "challenging case", the EC had said it
cannot "close its eyes to rampant malpractices" there.It also
rejected the charge levelled by DMK and PMK that it has
imposed emergency in the state.
The Commission has enforced stringent measures to curb
use of money power in the current round of assembly elections
in states, especially in Tamil Nadu, where there has been
widespread attempts to bribe voters by paying them cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day