Cash seized during vehicle check in Yercaud
Salem: Election officials have seized silver anklets worth about Rs eight lakh and Rs 3.74 lakh cash during a vehicle check at Valappadi, coming under Yercaud assembly constituency, where bypoll is scheduled for December 4.
With the model code of conduct in force due to the bypoll, District authorities had ordered the public and politicians not to carry cash of more than Rs 50,000 to the constituency, S Sabapathy, Returning Officer said on Tuesday.
The cash and silver were seized last night, he said.
While the cash was handed over to Income Tax Department, the silver to Commercial Tax Department, he said.
He said a total of Rs 15 lakh had been seized after the election code of conduct came into force and cases were registered against five persons.
Meanwhile, officials have asked political parties to obtain prior permission for conducting public meetings in areas coming under the constituency.
The bypoll was necessitated by the death of sitting AIADMK MLA C Perumal in July.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter