Cauvery issue: Karunanidhi criticises Jayalalithaa`s remarks
Chennai: Asserting that his MPs had recently taken up the issue of notification of final award of Cauvery Tribunal with the Prime Minister, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday said criticism by his arch-rival and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on the issue amounts to casting aspersions on the PMO.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday charged DMK with inaction in getting the award notified in the Central gazette, saying people were suspicious if the DMK MPs had orally demanded that the final order should not be notified.
"This (Jayalalithaa`s remarks) amounts to casting aspersion on not only the DMK MPs but also on the Prime Minister`s Office," Karunanidhi said in a letter to partymen.
Following his statement to the press on December 12 demanding that the final award be notified, he said DMK Parliamentary Party Leader T R Baalu had led a delegation of MPs to meet the Prime Minister to take up the matter.
"Immediately they met the Prime Minister who had assured to look into the matter. This had appeared in all newspapers on December 18, 2012. But in her own style, Jayalalithaa had made wrong allegations about this," he said.
Jayalalithaa had yesterday said that if the DMK MPs had indeed sought notifying the Cauvery Tribunal order, it must have been given in writing and Karunanidhi should have released that to the media which had not been done.
"With Karunanidhi, whose party has been in power in the Centre and state for four years not insisting his MPs to meet the Prime Minister all the time, and the fact that AIADMK MPs have not been allotted time with the Prime Minister to discuss the issue.... Seeing this now there is a strong suspicion in the minds of people if the DMK MPs had orally demanded that the final order should not be notified," she had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi