Cauvery issue: SC seeks centre, Karnataka`s response on TN plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Monday sought response from the central and Karnataka governments to Tamil Nadu`s plea for setting up the Cauvery Management Board (CMB) and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee (CWRC) to effectively implement the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal`s final order.
A bench of Chief Justice Altamas Kabir, Justice Fakir Mohamed Ibrahim Kalifulla and Justice Vikramajit Sen sought the response of the central and state governments as senior counsel CSVaidyanathan mentioned the Tamil Nadu government`s application for the setting of two bodies.
The Tamil Nadu government application said that setting up of the two bodies was recommended in the Feb 5, 2007, final order of the tribunal that was gazetted by the central government Feb 19 this year.
It also urged the court to direct the Karnataka government to immediately release 10 thousand million cubic feet (TMC) of water that is due to it for the month of June and the subsequent release of ten days/monthly flow for the coming months as per the final order of the tribunal.
The application has also sought that Karnataka release 53.18 TMC feet of water to make up for the shortfall at Mettur reservoir for 2012-13 as computed on pro rata sharing formula by the Cauvery Management Committee. This is besides the utilisation of the water in the current irrigation year 2013-14.
The Tamil Nadu government in its application said that the tribunal had favoured the setting up of an independent mechanism for the implementation of its award.
"In our opinion, the necessity of setting up a suitable mechanism is of utmost importance; besides whatever machinery is set up should be adequately empowered to implement the Tribunal`s decision, as otherwise, we are afraid our decision would only be on a piece of paper", the Tamil Nadu application said, quoting the final order of the CWDT.
Directing the central and Karnataka governments to file its response to Tamil Nadu`s plea, the court directed the listing of the matter July 12.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27