Cauvery issue: TN CM holds meeting with Cabinet colleagues
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday held a review meeting with her cabinet colleagues and senior officials to discuss the Cauvery issue.
The meeting comes a day after Jayalalithaa had urged the Centre to notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
Finance Minister O Panneerselvam and PWD Minister KV Ramalingam were among those present, a government release said without elaborating.
At its meeting on December 7 in New Delhi, the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) had informed the states concerned, including Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, that steps "shall" be taken to notify the final award of the tribunal at the earliest, "but not later than the end of this month."
Once a gazette notification is issued, institutions like the Cauvery River Authority chaired by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the CMC will cease to exist.
Jayalalithaa had written to the Prime Minister twice in the last ten days demanding that the order be notified to save the withering crops in Tamil Nadu`s Cauvery-delta regions.
She had reiterated her demand on Saturday also, by way of an official statement.
Tamil Nadu and Karnataka are locked in a row over sharing of the Cauvery waters and a case is pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand