Cauvery issue: TN CM holds meeting with Cabinet colleagues
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday held a review meeting with her cabinet colleagues and senior officials to discuss the Cauvery issue.
The meeting comes a day after Jayalalithaa had urged the Centre to notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
Finance Minister O Panneerselvam and PWD Minister KV Ramalingam were among those present, a government release said without elaborating.
At its meeting on December 7 in New Delhi, the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) had informed the states concerned, including Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, that steps "shall" be taken to notify the final award of the tribunal at the earliest, "but not later than the end of this month."
Once a gazette notification is issued, institutions like the Cauvery River Authority chaired by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the CMC will cease to exist.
Jayalalithaa had written to the Prime Minister twice in the last ten days demanding that the order be notified to save the withering crops in Tamil Nadu`s Cauvery-delta regions.
She had reiterated her demand on Saturday also, by way of an official statement.
Tamil Nadu and Karnataka are locked in a row over sharing of the Cauvery waters and a case is pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof