Cauvery issue: TN CM holds meeting with Cabinet colleagues
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday held a review meeting with her cabinet colleagues and senior officials to discuss the Cauvery issue.
The meeting comes a day after Jayalalithaa had urged the Centre to notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
Finance Minister O Panneerselvam and PWD Minister KV Ramalingam were among those present, a government release said without elaborating.
At its meeting on December 7 in New Delhi, the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) had informed the states concerned, including Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, that steps "shall" be taken to notify the final award of the tribunal at the earliest, "but not later than the end of this month."
Once a gazette notification is issued, institutions like the Cauvery River Authority chaired by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the CMC will cease to exist.
Jayalalithaa had written to the Prime Minister twice in the last ten days demanding that the order be notified to save the withering crops in Tamil Nadu`s Cauvery-delta regions.
She had reiterated her demand on Saturday also, by way of an official statement.
Tamil Nadu and Karnataka are locked in a row over sharing of the Cauvery waters and a case is pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers