Cauvery issue: TN CM holds meeting with cabinet colleagues
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday held a review meeting with her cabinet colleagues and senior officials to discuss the Cauvery issue.
The meeting comes a day after Jayalalithaa urged the Centre to notify the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
Finance Minister O Panneerselvam and PWD Minister K V Ramalingam were among those present, a government release said, without elaborating.
At its meeting on December 7 in New Delhi, the Cauvery Monitoring Committee (CMC) had informed the states concerned, including Tamil Nadu and Karnataka, that steps "shall" be taken to notify the final award of the tribunal at the earliest, "but not later than the end of this month."
Once a gazette notification is issued, institutions like the Cauvery River Authority chaired by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and the CMC will cease to exist.
Jayalalithaa had written to the Prime Minister twice in the last ten days demanding that the order be notified to save the withering crops in Tamil Nadu`s Cauvery-delta regions.
She had reiterated her demand on Saturday also, by way of an official statement.
Tamil Nadu and Karnataka are locked in a row over sharing of the Cauvery waters and a case is pending before the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest