Cauvery River Authority to meet on September 19
Chennai: The Cauvery River Authority headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would meet in New Delhi on September 19.
The Tamil Nadu government has received a communication from the Ministry of Water Resources, Secretary Dhruv Vijai Singh that the seventh meeting of the CRA will be held on September 19, state PWD Secretary M Saikumar said in a release.
The meeting would be held at the Prime Minister`s office, he said and requested the participation of all member-states.
The official announcement from the State Government was to clarify media reports that the meeting would be held on different dates.
Water Resources Minister PK Bansal had said yesterday that the government was in touch with all the Chief Ministers.. "and everybody would be there (at the meeting). In all likelihood, it will be 19th or 20th of this month."
The decision to convene the meeting of the Authority comes after the Supreme Court pulled up PMO officials on the issue.
The last time the Authority met was on February 10, 2003 headed by then Prime Minister A B Vajpayee. The Authority was set up by the Centre in 1997 with far reaching powers to ensure the implementation of the Interim Order.
Tamil Nadu and Karnataka are locked in a battle for over two decades to share the water of river Cauvery.
The Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal had in 2007 submitted its report, awarding water share to all the states concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali