Cauvery Supervisory Committee holds first meeting
New Delhi: Centre on Saturday initiated steps to implement the award of the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal by holding the first meeting of the Supervisory Committee which saw Tamil Nadu demanding its share of water for June as stipulated in the award.
During the meeting, chaired by Union Water Resources Secretary SK Das, representatives from Tamil Nadu said they wanted allocation of water as stipulated in the award for the month of June on pro-rata basis for first 10 day period.
Kerala Chief Secretary E K Bharat Bhushan lamented that his state has not been able to utilise the "limited allocation" available to it because they have not been able to develop water resources projects.
Chairman, Central Water Commission Rajesh Kumar, who is a member of the panel, said the previous water year was a deficit year and all major reservoirs in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka in Cauvery basin have little storage.
The live storage in all the four reservoirs in Cauvery basin in Karnataka at the end of May stood at 3.77 thousand million cubic feet (TMC) and corresponding live storage in Mettur (Tamil Nadu) was 3.73 TMC.
Keeping in mind the poor storage and impending monsoon in Karnataka, Sarkar decided that the position regarding storages and allocation will be reviewed in the next meeting likely to be held on June 12.
The Central Water Commission emphasised the need for installation of automatic data observation and data transmission system in all the reservoirs where the data is proposed to be collected and transmitted.
The governments of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu agreed have to the proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh