Cauvery Supervisory Committee holds first meeting
New Delhi: Centre on Saturday initiated steps to implement the award of the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal by holding the first meeting of the Supervisory Committee which saw Tamil Nadu demanding its share of water for June as stipulated in the award.
During the meeting, chaired by Union Water Resources Secretary SK Das, representatives from Tamil Nadu said they wanted allocation of water as stipulated in the award for the month of June on pro-rata basis for first 10 day period.
Kerala Chief Secretary E K Bharat Bhushan lamented that his state has not been able to utilise the "limited allocation" available to it because they have not been able to develop water resources projects.
Chairman, Central Water Commission Rajesh Kumar, who is a member of the panel, said the previous water year was a deficit year and all major reservoirs in Tamil Nadu and Karnataka in Cauvery basin have little storage.
The live storage in all the four reservoirs in Cauvery basin in Karnataka at the end of May stood at 3.77 thousand million cubic feet (TMC) and corresponding live storage in Mettur (Tamil Nadu) was 3.73 TMC.
Keeping in mind the poor storage and impending monsoon in Karnataka, Sarkar decided that the position regarding storages and allocation will be reviewed in the next meeting likely to be held on June 12.
The Central Water Commission emphasised the need for installation of automatic data observation and data transmission system in all the reservoirs where the data is proposed to be collected and transmitted.
The governments of Karnataka and Tamil Nadu agreed have to the proposal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter