Cauvery water dispute: SC not to interfere with CM
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Sunday made it clear that it will not interfere with the Cauvery Monitoring Committee`s order directing Karnataka to provide Tamil Nadu with 12 TMC of Cauvery water during December despite both warring states expressing dissatisfaction over the award.
A bench of justices D K Jain and Madan B Lokur turned down the plea of Tamil Nadu which contended that the report is factually wrong and the court should interfere in the matter to direct Karnataka to release more water.
"They (members of CMC) are experts and we should not comment on it. If you are not happy with the report then do what you want to do for getting remedy," the bench said.
"It seems that both sides are not satisfied by the direction issued by the CMC. We leave it for the parties to work out in accordance with law," the bench said in its order.
The bench posted the matter for further hearing on January 4 after noting that the order of the Committee is for the month of December.
The CMC, which met on the direction of the apex court, had on December 7 asked asked Karnataka to provide Tamil Nadu with 12 TMC of Cauvery water during December.
Kerala and Pudducherry are the other two member states of CMC which is headed by Union Secretary, Water Resources.
"It would seem equitable if Karnataka should manage water in such a way that Tamil Nadu receives 12 Thousand Million Cubic (TMC) feet during the month of December, 2012," the Committee had said in its interim award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM