CBI convicts DMK Rajya Sabha MP in cremation shed scam
Chennai: A CBI court here on Thursday sentenced DMK Rajya Sabha MP T M Selvaganapathy, who was also a former Tamil Nadu minister, and four others to two years rigorous imprisonment in connection with construction of cremation sheds in Nagapattinam district during 1995-96.
Special CBI Judge S Malathi also slapped a fine of Rs 25,000 on Selvaganapathy, J T Acharyulu, the then Special Commissioner of Rural Development, M Sathyamoorthy, Director of Rural Development, M Krishnamoorthy, Project Officer, T Bharathi, proprietor Om Muruga Cement Company.
Arogya Raj, who was the special officer of the cooperative societies, also an accused in the case, died during the course of the case.
According to CBI, during 1995-96 under Jawahar Rojgar Yojana Scheme, a high level meeting was held by the then Local Administration and Rural Development Minister Selvaganapathy in which it was decided to construct 100 cremation sheds for Adi Dravidars in Nagapattinam.
Instead of awarding the contract to cooperative societies, it was entrusted to a private company and funds were also sanctioned.
The PWD officials who inspected the shed found that it was not properly constructed following which the case was taken up by CBI.
The CBI alleged that all the five accused were found to be guilty of offences of causing a pecuniary loss to the Government to the tune of Rs 23 lakh.
The Judge in her order said the prosecution "adduced reliable and satisfactory evidence beyond reasonable doubt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- After China warns India, Baloch and Sindhi leaders hail PM Narendra Modi outside Chinese embassy – Watch
- After Anil Vij, Vijay Goel announces support for Dera Sacha's sports village in Haryana
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai conferred with Khel Ratna award
- Attention cinema lovers, Will Smith was a guest at Akshay Kumar's success party! – See pics
- Six scientists end year-long Mars mission