CBI convicts DMK Rajya Sabha MP in cremation shed scam
Chennai: A CBI court here on Thursday sentenced DMK Rajya Sabha MP T M Selvaganapathy, who was also a former Tamil Nadu minister, and four others to two years rigorous imprisonment in connection with construction of cremation sheds in Nagapattinam district during 1995-96.
Special CBI Judge S Malathi also slapped a fine of Rs 25,000 on Selvaganapathy, J T Acharyulu, the then Special Commissioner of Rural Development, M Sathyamoorthy, Director of Rural Development, M Krishnamoorthy, Project Officer, T Bharathi, proprietor Om Muruga Cement Company.
Arogya Raj, who was the special officer of the cooperative societies, also an accused in the case, died during the course of the case.
According to CBI, during 1995-96 under Jawahar Rojgar Yojana Scheme, a high level meeting was held by the then Local Administration and Rural Development Minister Selvaganapathy in which it was decided to construct 100 cremation sheds for Adi Dravidars in Nagapattinam.
Instead of awarding the contract to cooperative societies, it was entrusted to a private company and funds were also sanctioned.
The PWD officials who inspected the shed found that it was not properly constructed following which the case was taken up by CBI.
The CBI alleged that all the five accused were found to be guilty of offences of causing a pecuniary loss to the Government to the tune of Rs 23 lakh.
The Judge in her order said the prosecution "adduced reliable and satisfactory evidence beyond reasonable doubt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing