CBI convicts DMK Rajya Sabha MP in cremation shed scam
Chennai: A CBI court here on Thursday sentenced DMK Rajya Sabha MP T M Selvaganapathy, who was also a former Tamil Nadu minister, and four others to two years rigorous imprisonment in connection with construction of cremation sheds in Nagapattinam district during 1995-96.
Special CBI Judge S Malathi also slapped a fine of Rs 25,000 on Selvaganapathy, J T Acharyulu, the then Special Commissioner of Rural Development, M Sathyamoorthy, Director of Rural Development, M Krishnamoorthy, Project Officer, T Bharathi, proprietor Om Muruga Cement Company.
Arogya Raj, who was the special officer of the cooperative societies, also an accused in the case, died during the course of the case.
According to CBI, during 1995-96 under Jawahar Rojgar Yojana Scheme, a high level meeting was held by the then Local Administration and Rural Development Minister Selvaganapathy in which it was decided to construct 100 cremation sheds for Adi Dravidars in Nagapattinam.
Instead of awarding the contract to cooperative societies, it was entrusted to a private company and funds were also sanctioned.
The PWD officials who inspected the shed found that it was not properly constructed following which the case was taken up by CBI.
The CBI alleged that all the five accused were found to be guilty of offences of causing a pecuniary loss to the Government to the tune of Rs 23 lakh.
The Judge in her order said the prosecution "adduced reliable and satisfactory evidence beyond reasonable doubt".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Madhavan delighted with 'Saala Khadoos' being lauded in Canada
- Ranveer Singh's 6-pack abs will give you serious fitness goals! Watch video
- Rio Olympics 2016: Neymar defends his party boy lifestyle
- Mayawati raises assault on Muslim women by vigilantes in Madhya Pradesh
- Volkswagen kicks off deliveries of its first Made in India car Ameo