CBI showed `monumental lethargy` in 2G scam probe: Jaya
Chennai: Charging CBI with showing "monumental lethargy" in its probe of the 2G spectrum scam, AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa on Friday said she welcomed the Supreme Court`s decision to monitor the probe but the Centre should not use it to duck the opposition`s demand for a JPC.
"I welcome the Supreme Court`s announcement that it would monitor the CBI probe into the 2G spectrum allocations scam. I also welcome the Supreme Court`s insistence that the
investigation should cover actions of the Telecom Department right from 2001," she said in a statement here.
The apex court had yesterday widened the investigation in the case by bringing in its ambit the telecom policy from 2001 to 2008, covering both the NDA and the UPA regimes.
Charging the investigating agency with showing "monumental lethargy" in its probe, Jayalalithaa said the recent "spurt of activities" of CBI had come only after the
Supreme Court asked why it was "dithering" on the issue and why former Telecom Minister A Raja had not been questioned.
By expanding the CBI probe ambit to 2001, the tenure of former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran would also come under scrutiny, she said
However, Jayalalithaa said the Centre should not use the Supreme Court-monitored investigation to "duck" the combined opposition`s demand for a JPC probe.
"The scope of the CBI investigation is limited to certain parameters. It cannot and will not include the conspirators and accessories to the scam, many of whom are in positions of considerable political power, both in the state and at the Centre. The whole truth has to come out. And for this, a JPC probe is the only solution," she said.
She said her party would continue to insist on a JPC probe into the matter and join hands with all like-minded parties in pressing for this "very justified demand".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday