CCTV footage of bank robberies’ suspects released
Chennai: City police On Wednesday released the CCTV
footage of a person suspected to have been involved in two
bank heists here in the last couple of months and said all
angles, including Naxal link, were being probed.
Announcing a reward of Rs one lakh for information about
the suspect, Police Commissioner J K Tripathy told reporters
here that 30 teams had been formed to nab the culprits who
committed the robberies in the two banks.
The picture of the suspect, who was carrying some sort of
weapon, had been obtained from the CCTV footage of another
bank, he said without elaborating.
"The man in the footage has been confirmed as the suspect
by the two banks (where the daylight robberies occurred)," he
said, two days after the robbery incident at the Indian
Overseas Bank branch at suburban Keelkattalai.
To a question on the possibility of a Naxal link to the
incidents, Tripathy said, "We are examining that angle also."
In the second such robbery in less than a month, four armed
men struck at the IOB branch at around 2 pm on February 20 and
decamped with Rs 14 lakh cash.
The heist was similar to the January 23 robbery when four
armed men stormed the Bank of Baroda branch near Perungudi
here and escaped with Rs 19 lakh cash. The case is yet to be
Both the branches had no CCTV facility.
Of the 1,300 odd bank branches in the city, around 420
lacked security features such as CCTV and guards and police
have instructed banks to comply with all mandated safety
requirements, Tripathy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray