CCTV footage of bank robberies’ suspects released
Chennai: City police On Wednesday released the CCTV
footage of a person suspected to have been involved in two
bank heists here in the last couple of months and said all
angles, including Naxal link, were being probed.
Announcing a reward of Rs one lakh for information about
the suspect, Police Commissioner J K Tripathy told reporters
here that 30 teams had been formed to nab the culprits who
committed the robberies in the two banks.
The picture of the suspect, who was carrying some sort of
weapon, had been obtained from the CCTV footage of another
bank, he said without elaborating.
"The man in the footage has been confirmed as the suspect
by the two banks (where the daylight robberies occurred)," he
said, two days after the robbery incident at the Indian
Overseas Bank branch at suburban Keelkattalai.
To a question on the possibility of a Naxal link to the
incidents, Tripathy said, "We are examining that angle also."
In the second such robbery in less than a month, four armed
men struck at the IOB branch at around 2 pm on February 20 and
decamped with Rs 14 lakh cash.
The heist was similar to the January 23 robbery when four
armed men stormed the Bank of Baroda branch near Perungudi
here and escaped with Rs 19 lakh cash. The case is yet to be
Both the branches had no CCTV facility.
Of the 1,300 odd bank branches in the city, around 420
lacked security features such as CCTV and guards and police
have instructed banks to comply with all mandated safety
requirements, Tripathy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks