CCTV footage of bank robberies’ suspects released
Chennai: City police On Wednesday released the CCTV
footage of a person suspected to have been involved in two
bank heists here in the last couple of months and said all
angles, including Naxal link, were being probed.
Announcing a reward of Rs one lakh for information about
the suspect, Police Commissioner J K Tripathy told reporters
here that 30 teams had been formed to nab the culprits who
committed the robberies in the two banks.
The picture of the suspect, who was carrying some sort of
weapon, had been obtained from the CCTV footage of another
bank, he said without elaborating.
"The man in the footage has been confirmed as the suspect
by the two banks (where the daylight robberies occurred)," he
said, two days after the robbery incident at the Indian
Overseas Bank branch at suburban Keelkattalai.
To a question on the possibility of a Naxal link to the
incidents, Tripathy said, "We are examining that angle also."
In the second such robbery in less than a month, four armed
men struck at the IOB branch at around 2 pm on February 20 and
decamped with Rs 14 lakh cash.
The heist was similar to the January 23 robbery when four
armed men stormed the Bank of Baroda branch near Perungudi
here and escaped with Rs 19 lakh cash. The case is yet to be
Both the branches had no CCTV facility.
Of the 1,300 odd bank branches in the city, around 420
lacked security features such as CCTV and guards and police
have instructed banks to comply with all mandated safety
requirements, Tripathy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- DNA: Analysis of first SECC survey in eight decades
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?