CCTV footage of bank robberies’ suspects released
Chennai: City police On Wednesday released the CCTV
footage of a person suspected to have been involved in two
bank heists here in the last couple of months and said all
angles, including Naxal link, were being probed.
Announcing a reward of Rs one lakh for information about
the suspect, Police Commissioner J K Tripathy told reporters
here that 30 teams had been formed to nab the culprits who
committed the robberies in the two banks.
The picture of the suspect, who was carrying some sort of
weapon, had been obtained from the CCTV footage of another
bank, he said without elaborating.
"The man in the footage has been confirmed as the suspect
by the two banks (where the daylight robberies occurred)," he
said, two days after the robbery incident at the Indian
Overseas Bank branch at suburban Keelkattalai.
To a question on the possibility of a Naxal link to the
incidents, Tripathy said, "We are examining that angle also."
In the second such robbery in less than a month, four armed
men struck at the IOB branch at around 2 pm on February 20 and
decamped with Rs 14 lakh cash.
The heist was similar to the January 23 robbery when four
armed men stormed the Bank of Baroda branch near Perungudi
here and escaped with Rs 19 lakh cash. The case is yet to be
Both the branches had no CCTV facility.
Of the 1,300 odd bank branches in the city, around 420
lacked security features such as CCTV and guards and police
have instructed banks to comply with all mandated safety
requirements, Tripathy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what