Central govt officer sentenced to 1 year RI in cheating case
Chennai: A CBI court on Monday sentenced a former Central government officer and eight others to one year Rigorous Imprisonment in a cheating case.
EMKS Siddharthar, Additional Special Judge for CBI cases, sentenced MS Dinakar, then Regional Manager of Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Ltd (TRIFED), M Varadarajalu @ MV Raja of MVR Industries and seven others in a cheating case pertaining to procurement of cashews from tribals, CBI said in a release.
TRIFED and MVR Industries entered into an agreement in 1995 for procurement of cashewnuts from tribal areas in various states through M/s Enkay Foods Pvt Ltd and M/s Sathyam Foods "and in furtherance to the conspiracy the procurement agents did not procure any raw cashewnuts as per the agreement, and created forged and fabricated documents showing as if the raw cashewnuts were procured from various tribals," CBI said.
MVR industries stored in a godown in Tuticorin sub-standard cashewnuts imported by them from their sister concerns transported from Tuticorin port. These cashewnuts were shifted and deposited in the godown of TRIFED and shown as if they were cashewnuts procured from tribals.
Dinakar, then Regional Manager of TRIFED, abused his official position to issue cheques for a little over Rs 11.79 crore from TRIFED account based on false and forged documents produced by the accused agents causing wrongful loss, it said adding the agency later filed a case.
Dinakar,Varadarajalu and seven others were sentenced to one year RI today on completion of trial and the court also imposed a total fine of Rs 2.30 lakh on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list