`Centre, DMK didn`t do enough for SL Tamils`
New Delhi: With India voting against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC, BJP Thursday said the government and DMK should spell out the steps they had taken to prevent attacks on ethnic Tamils during the war against LTTE.
"When the Sri Lankan army was violent, you (Government) were silent. Now, they are silent but why are you violent"? BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here.
He said the government and DMK, which was part of the government whent he war against LTTE was fought, should spell out why they did not take steps to ensure that unarmed Tamils were not harmed in Sri Lanka.
The government and DMK should explain their respective stand on the issue which has paralysed Parliament for a few days.
The UN Human Rights Council today adopted a US-sponsored resolution on human rights violation in Sri Lanka with 25 countries, including India, voting in favour of the document in the 47-nation strong body.
While 13 countries, including Pakistan, voted against, eight member-states abstained from voting on the contentious resolution that saw political tremors in India with DMK pulling out of the UPA alliance and the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?