`Centre, DMK didn`t do enough for SL Tamils`
New Delhi: With India voting against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC, BJP Thursday said the government and DMK should spell out the steps they had taken to prevent attacks on ethnic Tamils during the war against LTTE.
"When the Sri Lankan army was violent, you (Government) were silent. Now, they are silent but why are you violent"? BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here.
He said the government and DMK, which was part of the government whent he war against LTTE was fought, should spell out why they did not take steps to ensure that unarmed Tamils were not harmed in Sri Lanka.
The government and DMK should explain their respective stand on the issue which has paralysed Parliament for a few days.
The UN Human Rights Council today adopted a US-sponsored resolution on human rights violation in Sri Lanka with 25 countries, including India, voting in favour of the document in the 47-nation strong body.
While 13 countries, including Pakistan, voted against, eight member-states abstained from voting on the contentious resolution that saw political tremors in India with DMK pulling out of the UPA alliance and the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony