`Centre, DMK didn`t do enough for SL Tamils`
New Delhi: With India voting against Sri Lanka at the UNHRC, BJP Thursday said the government and DMK should spell out the steps they had taken to prevent attacks on ethnic Tamils during the war against LTTE.
"When the Sri Lankan army was violent, you (Government) were silent. Now, they are silent but why are you violent"? BJP leader M Venkaiah Naidu told reporters here.
He said the government and DMK, which was part of the government whent he war against LTTE was fought, should spell out why they did not take steps to ensure that unarmed Tamils were not harmed in Sri Lanka.
The government and DMK should explain their respective stand on the issue which has paralysed Parliament for a few days.
The UN Human Rights Council today adopted a US-sponsored resolution on human rights violation in Sri Lanka with 25 countries, including India, voting in favour of the document in the 47-nation strong body.
While 13 countries, including Pakistan, voted against, eight member-states abstained from voting on the contentious resolution that saw political tremors in India with DMK pulling out of the UPA alliance and the government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!