Centre insulting Tamils by training SL personnel: Jaya
Chennai: Jayalalithaa-led AIADMK on Monday launched a scathing attack on the Centre, charging it with "insulting" Tamils by imparting military training to Sri Lankan defence personnel.
The meeting of the party`s executive, attended by the Chief Minister among others, said the Centre had taken it up as a "duty" to train Lankan military personnel in India.
While demanding that some of them presently in India be immediately sent back, it also called for an end to their training on Indian soil.
However the party refrained from taking up the `coalgate` scam over alleged losses in coal mining.
"That the Centre has taken it up as a duty to train Sri Lankan personnel who (allgedly) harass Tamils in Lanka besides its Navy attacking Indian fishermen amounts to insulting the entire Tamil race," one of the 16 resolutions adopted by the members said.
The Centre should take steps to end attacks on fishermen and this should include retrieval of `Katchatheevu,` an islet ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974 through an agreement, it said, while citing a case already filed by Jayalalithaa in the Supreme Court in this regard.
"The Sri Lankan personnel undergoing training at Bangalore and Wellington (in Tamil Nadu) should be immediately sent back," it said, adding New Delhi should stop training them in future. .
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof