Centre not allowing TN to `survive`, alleges Jaya
Chennai: Coming down hard on the UPA government
at the Centre, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa today
charged it with preventing the development of the state and
vowed to "smash" all the hurdles to deliver welfare to the
people of the state.
"It is a matter of regret to say. But the Centre is working
with the intention of not allowing Tamil Nadu to survive,"
Jayalalithaa told the Assembly.
Her remarks come a day after she charged the Centre with
inaction on a resolution by the Assembly seeking economic
santions on Sri Lanka on the ethnic conflict involving the
Tamils, alleging that it had emboldened Sri Lankan Defence
Secretary Gotabaya Rajapakse to ridicule the resolution.
He had said that the resolution was passed for political
Responding to CPI (M) Floor Leader A Sounderrajan`s plea
for more funds for certain programmes, Jayalalithaa said the
Centre had "snatched" from states most of the
revenue-generating portfolios and retained them with itself
and left Value Added Tax and Commercial Taxes for states to
meet their revenue.
"State government`s revenue is realised only from these.
And we are managing all our expenses using these. We have the
intention to do but financial deficit has tied us down," she
She assured that her government was committed in
implementing welfare measures and said that all the "hurdles
created by the Centre will be smashed."
"I would assure that we will fulfill our democratic duty in
democratic ways," she said.
Earlier, she had slammed the Congress-led UPA when she said
that the Centre had cut down state`s quota of kerosene since
June and recalled that she had taken this up with Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced