Centre not biased in allocating funds to TN: Alagiri
Madurai: Refuting charges that the Union Government was biased in allocating funds for Tamil Nadu, Union Minister for Chemicals and Fertilisers MK Alagiri on Tuesday said whatever allocation was made to the state during DMK rule is being made now.
"The chief minister (Jayalalithaa) is deliberately making such statements for political reasons.She is giving political cover to ordinary issues," he said when asked about Jayalalithaa`s reported charge that the Centre was not helping the state in anyway.
Asked about the 2014 Lok Sabha polls and AIADMK`s decision to go it alone, he said there was still time for the elections. None could predict what would happen, he said.
Referring to the description of the chief minister in some circles as the future Prime Minister, he said "That is AIADMK men`s wish..Many persons in Tamil Nadu are called future Chief Ministers..Even (opposition leader in the assembly) Vijayakant (actor-politician and founder of DMDK) is described as future CM..But we have to see if that will happen...,"he said.
He described the current rule of the state as a "dark period.The state is without electricity..But chief minister is talking about next elections."
Alagiri alleged that Jayalalithaa did not keep her electoral promises. She had dropped the good schemes of the previous DMK government, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway