Centre orders inquiry into Sivakasi fire
New Delhi: The Centre has ordered an inquiry by a senior IAS officer into the gruesome tragedy at a fireworks manufacturing unit near Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu that claimed 39 lives.
Union Minister of Commerce Industry and Textiles, Anand Sharma has ordered an inquiry by senior IAS officer Chaitanya Prasad under section 9 (a) of the Explosives Act 1884, an official statement said on Thursday.
The Act is governed by Union Commerce and Industry ministry.
The inquiry has been ordered considering seriousness of the incident yesterday at the fireworks factory of M/s Om Sakthi Fireworks Industries located at Vadi, Sivakasi, Virudhunagar District of Tamil Nadu yesterday, it added.
Three officers of the Deputy Chief Controller of Explosives Sivakasi field office have been at the accident spot since yesterday while the Chief Controller of Explosives and the Joint Controller of Explosives reached the accident site today, the statement said.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has also ordered a magisterial probe into the fire incident. Twelve persons have been arrested in connection with the tragedy at the fireworks manufacturing unit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video