Centre orders inquiry into Sivakasi fire
New Delhi: The Centre has ordered an inquiry by a senior IAS officer into the gruesome tragedy at a fireworks manufacturing unit near Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu that claimed 39 lives.
Union Minister of Commerce Industry and Textiles, Anand Sharma has ordered an inquiry by senior IAS officer Chaitanya Prasad under section 9 (a) of the Explosives Act 1884, an official statement said on Thursday.
The Act is governed by Union Commerce and Industry ministry.
The inquiry has been ordered considering seriousness of the incident yesterday at the fireworks factory of M/s Om Sakthi Fireworks Industries located at Vadi, Sivakasi, Virudhunagar District of Tamil Nadu yesterday, it added.
Three officers of the Deputy Chief Controller of Explosives Sivakasi field office have been at the accident spot since yesterday while the Chief Controller of Explosives and the Joint Controller of Explosives reached the accident site today, the statement said.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has also ordered a magisterial probe into the fire incident. Twelve persons have been arrested in connection with the tragedy at the fireworks manufacturing unit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden