Centre pays no heed to state leaders: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M. Karunanidhi Saturday charged the central government of not being bothered by statements from political leaders in the states on issues like the attack on Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan forces or fuel price hikes.
Karunanidhi, whose party is a major constituent of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre, said: "Every time fishermen from Tamil Nadu are attacked by Sri Lankan Navy, leaders of political parties issue statements of condemnation. Nevertheless, the attacks continue."
He added that the statements seem to make little impact on the governments of India or Sri Lanka. "Gone with the wind are statements of political leaders," he said.
Similarly, the price of fuel is hiked even though political parties issue statements opposing the hike, the DMK president said.
"Oil companies are not bothered about the social impact the price hikes have on the middle and poor classes," he said, referring to the hike in petrol and diesel prices announced Friday.
Urging the centre to take back the power to decide on oil prices from the oil marketing companies, Karunanidhi stressed that the current hike should be withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video