Centre pays no heed to state leaders: Karunanidhi
Chennai: DMK president M. Karunanidhi Saturday charged the central government of not being bothered by statements from political leaders in the states on issues like the attack on Indian fishermen by Sri Lankan forces or fuel price hikes.
Karunanidhi, whose party is a major constituent of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government at the centre, said: "Every time fishermen from Tamil Nadu are attacked by Sri Lankan Navy, leaders of political parties issue statements of condemnation. Nevertheless, the attacks continue."
He added that the statements seem to make little impact on the governments of India or Sri Lanka. "Gone with the wind are statements of political leaders," he said.
Similarly, the price of fuel is hiked even though political parties issue statements opposing the hike, the DMK president said.
"Oil companies are not bothered about the social impact the price hikes have on the middle and poor classes," he said, referring to the hike in petrol and diesel prices announced Friday.
Urging the centre to take back the power to decide on oil prices from the oil marketing companies, Karunanidhi stressed that the current hike should be withdrawn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Eurozone business activity strong despite Brexit: Survey
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic