Centre should notify Cauvery Tribunal award: Vasan
Chennai: Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan has made a strong plea to the Centre to notify the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal`s award in the gazette as stipulated by the Supreme Court.
The plea was made by Vasan when he met Union Law Minister Ashwani Kumar yesterday and insisted that the need of the hour was to see the merit of the case and the Apex Court has also impressed upon the government to notify the award in a specific time.
Observing that Tamil Nadu was on the merit side of the case, he said "people of Tamil Nadu, especially farmers of the Delta region are awaiting notification of the award".
He said he has also spoken to Water Resources Minister Harish Rawat.
The apex court on February 4 had pulled up the Centre for "flouting the law" for the last five years and set February 20 dead line to notify the award, saying it has no discretion or choice but to do so.
The Court had said government is bound by the Act under which the Tribunal was set up in 1990 and directed it to notify the award as expeditiously as possible but not later than February 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family