Centre should respect TN Govt`s resolution: CPI leader
Thanjavur: The CPI on Sunday said the Centre should respect the resolution passed in the Tamil Nadu Assembly asking it to stop treating Sri Lanka as a friendly nation and to slap sanctions on it while demanding a referendum for a separate Tamil Eelam.
"The Centre`s view that it need not respect the resolution is wrong," CPI leader D Pandian told reporters here.
"If they (the Centre) thought that the Tamils` issue was an internal matter of Sri Lanka, why did they extend Rs 2,000 crore for the rehabilitation of displaced Tamils in the island nation," he asked.
The Centre should respect that Tamil Nadu government was a democratically elected one, Pandian said apparently referring to External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid rejecting the state government`s resolution.
The Tamil Nadu Assembly had unanimously adopted a resolution urging the Centre to slap economic embargo on Colombo till the "suppression" of Tamils was stopped and those responsible for "genocide and war crimes" faced an international probe.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know