Centre to take all efforts to make Karnataka release Cauvery water
Chennai: The Centre would take all efforts to make Karnataka release their share of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, Minister of State in PMO V Narayanasamy said here on Saturday.
"It is the policy and intention of the Central government to make Karnataka to release their share of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu and Puducherry and we will take all efforts towards this purpose," he told reporters here.
His remarks come in the backdrop of Tamil Nadu government`s decision yesterday to file a contempt petition in the Supreme Court against Karnataka over the latter`s refusal to release Cauvery water, besides seeking a direction to set up two regulatory bodies to implement the Cauvery Water Dispute Tribunal`s final award.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had slammed Karnataka`s stand that the Supervisory Committee on Cauvery was not properly formed and it cannot take any decisions and said it amounted to contempt of Court.
The Committee had on June 12 rejected the state`s demand for release of water from Karnataka, but promised Tamil Nadu that it would review the situation in the first week of July.
To a question on whether Congress would extend support to DMK in the June 27 Rajya Sabha elections, Narayansamy said "Congress President Sonia Gandhi will take a decision on it. It will be final".
To another query, he ruled out formation of a third-front at the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says