Centre would satisfy SC on safety aspects of KNPP: Narayanasamy
Chennai: The Centre would satisfy the Supreme Court on the safety of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant and people living in its vicinity, Union Minister V Narayanasamy said on Sunday.
"We will file the counter on October 4. We will satisfy the Supreme Court..." on the steps taken to ensure the safety of the people in and around Kudankulam, the Minister of State in PMO told reporters here.
He was responding to a question about the Supreme Court`s September 27 observations that it can stop commissioning of the plant if it finds that the mandatory safety requirements for it have not been put in place.
The court made the observation during the hearing of an appeal by a social activist against the Madras High Court order refusing to impose any restraint against the plant.
Narayanasamy said the government would file a counter detailing the measures taken from the safety point of view during the next hearing on October 4.
Noting that the court had only sought explanations on safety aspects, he said the Centre would also submit to the apex court reports of expert committee and others vouching for the safety of the plant.
He said the Centre would extend all support to the state government in maintaining law and order in the area, which has been witnessing protests by locals against the KNPP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray