Centre`s approach negative on Lanka: Karunanidhi
Chennai: Charging the BJP-led Union government with pursuing a "negative approach" in dealing with Sri Lanka by supporting it, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today urged the Centre to adopt a stance protective of Tamils there.
Referring to a defence conference to be hosted by Sri Lanka, slated to be held between August 18 and 20, he quoted a Tamil proverb and said India`s decision to participate in the meet was tantamount to betrayal.
Pointing to the alleged disruption and cancellation of a seminar for Tamil journalists in Sri Lanka and its condemnation by U.S.A., the DMK leader said, "when a far away country like America has expressed its dissatisfaction, India`s stance is painful."
Be it the defence meet next month or the `muzzling` of Tamil journalists by that country, the Centre has adopted a negative approach, he said.
"I again urge the BJP regime to adopt a stance protective of Tamils in Sri Lanka unlike the previous Congress-led government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister