Centre`s approach negative on Lanka: Karunanidhi
Chennai: Charging the BJP-led Union government with pursuing a "negative approach" in dealing with Sri Lanka by supporting it, DMK chief M Karunanidhi today urged the Centre to adopt a stance protective of Tamils there.
Referring to a defence conference to be hosted by Sri Lanka, slated to be held between August 18 and 20, he quoted a Tamil proverb and said India`s decision to participate in the meet was tantamount to betrayal.
Pointing to the alleged disruption and cancellation of a seminar for Tamil journalists in Sri Lanka and its condemnation by U.S.A., the DMK leader said, "when a far away country like America has expressed its dissatisfaction, India`s stance is painful."
Be it the defence meet next month or the `muzzling` of Tamil journalists by that country, the Centre has adopted a negative approach, he said.
"I again urge the BJP regime to adopt a stance protective of Tamils in Sri Lanka unlike the previous Congress-led government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report