Chennai airport: 2 held for smuggling hawala money
Chennai: A city-based businessman and an
airport employee were arrested here on Sunday for allegedly trying
to smuggle out USD 35,000 to Singapore after the suspected
hawala money was seized from the checked-in baggage.
Shajahan, who was booked on an Air India flight to
Singapore, and Prasad, a catering superintendent employed at
the airport, were arrested after Directorate of Revenue
Intelligence sleuths unearthed the money from the luggage of
the passenger following a tip-off, officials said.
They said Prasad had allegedly placed the foreign currency
in the luggage after it was checked in by Shajahan.
The money was suspected to have been part of a hawala
transaction and further investigation was on, they said.
Surveillance at the airport had been stepped up following
a recent similar attempt to smuggle contraband with the help
of a private airline employee, the officials said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference