Chennai-based students on indefinite fast on Tamils issue
Chennai: Eight students of a city-based college have embarked on a fast-unto-death here demanding action against Sri Lanka for alleged war crimes.
The students of Loyola College here began their fast yesterday to press for their seven-point charter of demands, including an independent probe against Colombo for alleged war crimes, referendum on Tamil Eelam (separate homeland for Tamils) and slapping economic sanctions on Sri Lanka, a protester Joe Britto said.
Meanwhile, DMK president M Karunanidhi appealed to the students to withdraw their hunger strike and resort to other peaceful means of protest.
"Considering that life of every youth is important, the students should immediately withdraw their hunger strike and instead involve themselves in other peaceful means of protest," he said in a statement.
MDMK chief Vaiko met the students today and expressed his support to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?