Chennai-based students on indefinite fast on Tamils issue
Chennai: Eight students of a city-based college have embarked on a fast-unto-death here demanding action against Sri Lanka for alleged war crimes.
The students of Loyola College here began their fast yesterday to press for their seven-point charter of demands, including an independent probe against Colombo for alleged war crimes, referendum on Tamil Eelam (separate homeland for Tamils) and slapping economic sanctions on Sri Lanka, a protester Joe Britto said.
Meanwhile, DMK president M Karunanidhi appealed to the students to withdraw their hunger strike and resort to other peaceful means of protest.
"Considering that life of every youth is important, the students should immediately withdraw their hunger strike and instead involve themselves in other peaceful means of protest," he said in a statement.
MDMK chief Vaiko met the students today and expressed his support to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown