Chennai-based students on indefinite fast on Tamils issue
Chennai: Eight students of a city-based college have embarked on a fast-unto-death here demanding action against Sri Lanka for alleged war crimes.
The students of Loyola College here began their fast yesterday to press for their seven-point charter of demands, including an independent probe against Colombo for alleged war crimes, referendum on Tamil Eelam (separate homeland for Tamils) and slapping economic sanctions on Sri Lanka, a protester Joe Britto said.
Meanwhile, DMK president M Karunanidhi appealed to the students to withdraw their hunger strike and resort to other peaceful means of protest.
"Considering that life of every youth is important, the students should immediately withdraw their hunger strike and instead involve themselves in other peaceful means of protest," he said in a statement.
MDMK chief Vaiko met the students today and expressed his support to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia