Chennai-based students on indefinite fast on Tamils issue
Chennai: Eight students of a city-based college have embarked on a fast-unto-death here demanding action against Sri Lanka for alleged war crimes.
The students of Loyola College here began their fast yesterday to press for their seven-point charter of demands, including an independent probe against Colombo for alleged war crimes, referendum on Tamil Eelam (separate homeland for Tamils) and slapping economic sanctions on Sri Lanka, a protester Joe Britto said.
Meanwhile, DMK president M Karunanidhi appealed to the students to withdraw their hunger strike and resort to other peaceful means of protest.
"Considering that life of every youth is important, the students should immediately withdraw their hunger strike and instead involve themselves in other peaceful means of protest," he said in a statement.
MDMK chief Vaiko met the students today and expressed his support to them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees