Chennai: The toll in the multi-storeyed building collapse here rose to 32 while three lucky survivors were rescued on Tuesday nearly 70 hours after they were trapped under the debris.
"The toll had reached 32. Three persons were rescued today, taking the total number of survivors to 26 so far," Tamil Nadu Public Health Director K Kulandaisamy told PTI tonight.
The tragedy occurred on June 28 when the 11-storeyed under construction residential building collapsed.
The rescue personnel from multiple agencies pulled out 12 more bodies since last night, taking the toll to 32.
The three survivors, including two from Andhra Pradesh, have been hospitalised and their condition was stated to be stable, the official said.
Though Mahesh, among the three survivors found in the forenoon on the fourth day of the rescue operations, indicated several others were alive under the debris, the rescuers did not meet with further success during the day.
Kulandaisamy said there were indications that the first and ground floors of the building had not fully crumbled. "It is the guess of rescue personnel going by the account of the rescued man. We cannot say anything more now."