Chennai building collapse: Death toll rises to 42
Five days after an under-construction building collapsed in Chennai, the death toll has now risen to 42, reports said on Wednesday.
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Chennai: Five days after an under-construction building collapsed in Chennai, the death toll has now risen to 42, reports said on Wednesday. Three lucky survivors were rescued on Tuesday nearly 70 hours after they were trapped under the debris.
Rescue operation is still on to find out if there are more survivors still traped under the debris.
Twenty-seven people have been rescued so far. A woman rescued almost 60 hours after the tragedy unfortunately died at the hospital.
The tragedy occurred on June 28 when the 11-storeyed under construction residential building collapsed.
The rescue personnel from multiple agencies pulled out 12 more bodies since last night, taking the toll to 32.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa later said that the builder violated norms. The police have arrested 6, including the real estate developer for negligence.
Officials say the second 11-storey building under construction is also unsafe. Officials have cordoned off that building too.