Chennai building collapse: Karunanidhi dubs probe panel an eyewash, demands CBI inquiry
Chennai: Terming as an "eyewash" the setting up of an inquiry commission by Tamil Nadu government to probe the 11-storeyed under construction building collapse which claimed 61 lives here, DMK President M Karunanidhi on Friday demanded a CBI investigatiom into the incident.
Referring to the appointment of retired Madras High Court judge R Reghupathy as the head of the commission, Karunanidhi in a letter in his party organ "Murasoli" said no timeframe had been fixed for submission of its report.
"Ommission of the timeframe itself gives the impression that the appointment of the commission is an eyewash..", Karunanidhi alleged in his statement.
Quoting media reports about possible causes of the June 28 collapse, he said "an inquiry by CBI will be appropriate if information about what irregularities had taken place and who were the beneficiaries are to come out."
Meanwhile, DMK Chennai and Kancheepuram district units today announced a `Rajbhavan March` on July 12 to condemn the state government for approving the building plan and demanding a CBI probe, a party release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! When The Great Khali crushed two opponents in under a minute!
- Microsoft improves OneDrive photos, adds 'Pokemon Go' detector
- Munich attack: Facebook activates safety check tool
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic