Chennai: Five bank robbery case suspects killed
Chennai: Five persons were Thursday shot dead
in an encounter for their alleged involvement in a bank robbery case here, police said.
"Five persons were shot dead around 1 am in connection
with the bank robbery case," Commissioner of Police J K
Acting on a tip-off, a police team surrounded a house
in Vandikaran Street in Velachery around 1 am and asked the
suspects to come out, another police officer said.
The accused opened fire at the police injuring two inspectors.
Two daring daylight bank robberies were reported in
Chennai this year.
On February 20, four armed men looted Rs 14 lakh from a
branch of public sector Indian Overseas Bank at Keelkattalai
on city outskirts.
In a similar incident on January 23, four armed men
stormed the Bank of Baroda branch near Perungudi and escaped
with Rs 19 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing