Chennai: Five bank robbery case suspects killed
Chennai: Five persons were Thursday shot dead
in an encounter for their alleged involvement in a bank robbery case here, police said.
"Five persons were shot dead around 1 am in connection
with the bank robbery case," Commissioner of Police J K
Acting on a tip-off, a police team surrounded a house
in Vandikaran Street in Velachery around 1 am and asked the
suspects to come out, another police officer said.
The accused opened fire at the police injuring two inspectors.
Two daring daylight bank robberies were reported in
Chennai this year.
On February 20, four armed men looted Rs 14 lakh from a
branch of public sector Indian Overseas Bank at Keelkattalai
on city outskirts.
In a similar incident on January 23, four armed men
stormed the Bank of Baroda branch near Perungudi and escaped
with Rs 19 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued