Chidambaram lauds TNA for securing resounding mandate in polls
Chennai: Lauding Sri Lanka`s main Tamil party, the Tamil National Alliance (TNA), for securing a "resounding mandate" in elections for the Northern province, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram on Monday expressed confidence that it would secure maximum autonomy for provinces and equal rights for Tamils among others.
"This is a resounding mandate in favour of TNA and gives TNA a splendid opportunity to work for a permanent solution based on the 13th Amendment to the Sri Lankan constitution and improving upon the same," he said in a statement here.
He said he was confident that TNA would be able to secure "maximum autonomy for the province, devolution of powers to provinces (as envisaged in the 13th Amendment), equal rights and respect for Tamils and other minorities, acknowledgement of traditional rights of Tamils to their homeland and adequate participation in the governance of the country."
"The victory of TNA is also vindication of the policy adopted by Congress party and the Central government," he said without elaborating.
He congratulated TNA leaders, including R Sampanthan and Chief Minister-elect C V Wigneswaran and wished them success.
TNA had won 30 out of the 38 seats in the provincial council polls.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today