Child dies after drinking soft drink, three hospitalised
Cuddalore: An eight-year-old girl died at a government hospital here and three children were being treated after they were indisposed soon after consuming a popular brand of soft drink, police said on Monday.
Anjapuli, a contract labourer with the public sector Neyveli Lignite Corporation and a resident of Therku Seplanatham village, about 40 km from here, had bought two 500 ml bottles of the soft drink while returning home yesterday.
After four of his children consumed the soft drink, they developed symptoms of nausea, vomitting, abdominal pain and dyspnea.
They were rushed to a hospital in nearby Kurinjipadi and later brought to the government hospital here. Late in the night, Abirami, one of the children, was declared dead.
"Two other children continute to be treated here. Another child has been shifted to JIPMER Hospital in Puducherry. She is currently on ventilator. We hope she will get well soon," K R Jawaharlal, Deputy Director (Health), Cuddalore District told.
The remaining portion of the soft drink has been seized and sent to The King Institute of Preventive Medicine and Research in Chennai for analysis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?