Child rescued from borewell after 19 hours, dies in hospital
Villupuram: After a 19-hour long struggle, a three-year old girl who fell into an abandoned borewell in the district was today rescued, but she later died in hospital.
R Madhumita, stuck at around 28-30 ft of the 500-feet borewell at Pallagaseri village since yesterday, was pulled out around 3 am and rushed to the Kallakurichi Government General Hospital, police said.
After nearly an hour-long efforts to save her, the doctors declared her dead.
"The child was in a state of coma when brought to the hospital... Affected by lack of oxygen for long hours," hospital Superintendent Dr Udayakumar said.
The girl, who was playing in the field owned by her father, fell into the borewell around 8 am yesterday as polythene sacks covering it gave away when she stepped on it.
Teams from police, fire and rescue services personnel began resuce efforts, which included supply of oxygen into the borewell and digging a pit parallel to the borewell.
TVS Community College personnel from Madurai too pitched in to support the rescue efforts and tried to pull out the girl using robotic arms in vain.
The incident exposes yet again failure to enforce the 2010 Supreme Court guidelines on safety measures while digging borewells, issued in the aftermath of increasing number of fatal falls into borewells across the country.
In September last year, a six-year old girl child met with a similar fate after falling into a borewell in Pulavanpadi village in Tiruvannamalai District.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi