Child victim of endosulfan dies due to medical negligence
Kasargode: A two-and-a-half-year-old
girl, a victim of health problems reportedly caused by
pesticide endosulfan, died today allegedly due to medical
negligence on the part of a doctor of a government hospital
Official sources said the doctor, Narayan Naik, of the
Government General hospital has been suspended on the basis of
a probe by the District Medical Officer, after the incident
sparked widespread protests.
The child, Prajitha, was taken to the state-run hospital
yesterday after her condition worsened. However, the child
specialist in the hospital was on leave.
Later, her relatives took her to the clinic of the
doctor, who allegedly asked for Rs 100 as fee for providing
medical care to the child in a critical state.
The child was later taken to a private hospital where she
died today, sources said.
The government doctor was suspended from service based on
DMO`s probe ordered by state Health minister P K Sreemathy.
"This is a most tragic incident, which should not have
happened," Sreemathy said.
Activists of CPI-M`s youth outfit DYFI marched to the
doctor`s clinic demanding stern action against him.
Kasargode district is the worst-affected area in Kerala
due to aerial spraying of endosulfan in a state-run cashew
plantation, which allegedly caused a large number of deaths
and grievous health problems to hundreds over the years.
The protesters said this has happened at a time when the
entire society is aware of the dangers of endosulfan and
Kerala has been at the forefront of a campaign for a global
ban on endosulfan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan