Child victim of endosulfan dies due to medical negligence
A two-and-a-half-year-old girl, a victim of health problems reportedly caused by pesticide endosulfan, died today allegedly due to medical negligence on the part of a doctor of a government hospital.
Kasargode: A two-and-a-half-year-old
girl, a victim of health problems reportedly caused by
pesticide endosulfan, died today allegedly due to medical
negligence on the part of a doctor of a government hospital
Official sources said the doctor, Narayan Naik, of the
Government General hospital has been suspended on the basis of
a probe by the District Medical Officer, after the incident
sparked widespread protests.
The child, Prajitha, was taken to the state-run hospital
yesterday after her condition worsened. However, the child
specialist in the hospital was on leave.
Later, her relatives took her to the clinic of the
doctor, who allegedly asked for Rs 100 as fee for providing
medical care to the child in a critical state.
The child was later taken to a private hospital where she
died today, sources said.
The government doctor was suspended from service based on
DMO`s probe ordered by state Health minister P K Sreemathy.
"This is a most tragic incident, which should not have
happened," Sreemathy said.
Activists of CPI-M`s youth outfit DYFI marched to the
doctor`s clinic demanding stern action against him.
Kasargode district is the worst-affected area in Kerala
due to aerial spraying of endosulfan in a state-run cashew
plantation, which allegedly caused a large number of deaths
and grievous health problems to hundreds over the years.
The protesters said this has happened at a time when the
entire society is aware of the dangers of endosulfan and
Kerala has been at the forefront of a campaign for a global
ban on endosulfan.