Chiranjeevi to campaign for Congress in Tamil Nadu
New Delhi: In his first assignment after
announcing the merger of his party with Congress, Praja Rajyam
chief Chiranjeevi will campaign for candidates of the national
party in Tamil Nadu during the April 13 Assembly polls.
Chiranjeevi, who has decided to merge his Praja Rajyam
with Congress in Andhra Pradesh, has a huge fan following in
Tamil Nadu and Congress has been insisting that he take part
in electioneering in Tamil Nadu.
"Before April 11 (when the campaign comes to an end),
I will campaign for Congress in Tamil Nadu," the matinee idol
told reporters here.
He was speaking after meeting Congress leader Ghulam
Nabi Azad, in-charge of party affairs in Tamil Nadu and Andhra
This is for the first time in many years that Congress in
Tamil Nadu will have a film star campaigning for its
candidates while Dravidian parties like DMK and AIADMK have a
host of film personalities seeking votes for their nominees.
Sources said Chiranjeevi may campaign for four-five days
in areas where there are large chunks of Telugu population.
Congress will contest 63 seats as part of the
seat-sharing arrangement with DMK and the candidates` list is
expected to be announced in the next two days. Chiranjeevi
announced the merger of PRP with Congress last month.
During the meeting with Azad, Chiranjeevi also discussed
the plans of the merger of his party with Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan