Chiranjeevi to campaign for Congress in Tamil Nadu
New Delhi: In his first assignment after
announcing the merger of his party with Congress, Praja Rajyam
chief Chiranjeevi will campaign for candidates of the national
party in Tamil Nadu during the April 13 Assembly polls.
Chiranjeevi, who has decided to merge his Praja Rajyam
with Congress in Andhra Pradesh, has a huge fan following in
Tamil Nadu and Congress has been insisting that he take part
in electioneering in Tamil Nadu.
"Before April 11 (when the campaign comes to an end),
I will campaign for Congress in Tamil Nadu," the matinee idol
told reporters here.
He was speaking after meeting Congress leader Ghulam
Nabi Azad, in-charge of party affairs in Tamil Nadu and Andhra
This is for the first time in many years that Congress in
Tamil Nadu will have a film star campaigning for its
candidates while Dravidian parties like DMK and AIADMK have a
host of film personalities seeking votes for their nominees.
Sources said Chiranjeevi may campaign for four-five days
in areas where there are large chunks of Telugu population.
Congress will contest 63 seats as part of the
seat-sharing arrangement with DMK and the candidates` list is
expected to be announced in the next two days. Chiranjeevi
announced the merger of PRP with Congress last month.
During the meeting with Azad, Chiranjeevi also discussed
the plans of the merger of his party with Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Nuke-armed Pakistan can 'target' Delhi in 5 minutes, claims AQ Khan
- Gorilla shot dead after child falls into enclosure at Cincinnati Zoo!
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature?
- Are increasing attacks on African students racial in nature? - Part II
- WATCH: Relive Virat Kohli's dream run at IPL 2016 - Here's what the run machine did!
- Ban on large diesel vehicles a transient phase, says Jaitley
- Malegaon blast case: Sadhvi Pragya files for bail after NIA files fresh chargesheet
- Novak Djokovic poised to become first man to win $100 million in prize money
- Bihar Board class 10th results: More than 50 percent students fail in exams - Is this the reason?