CII, SICCI welcome decision to go ahead with KNPP
Chennai: Industry on Tuesday welcomed the Tamil Nadu government`s decision to go-ahead with the Rs 13,000 crore Koodankulam Nuclear Power project, saying commissioning of the plant would "reinstate Tamil Nadu on the path of strident economic growth".
"SICCI (Southern India Chamber of Commerce and Industry) welcomes the decision of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for the speedy commissioning of the nuclear power plant.
Swift commissioning of the power plant would help at least part of the (prevailing) power deficit", SICCI President Jawahar Vadivelu said in a statement.
He said the Government`s move to allot Rs 500 crore special development package for the area is sure to be a boon to the community. "The commissioning of the power plant is crucial to the industry development in State", he said.
Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) said commissioning of the plant is a "positive step" towards power generation.
CII values the decision to allot Rs 500 crore package for the development work in Koodankulam which will benefit the local ecosystem and the residents, the statement added.
Tamil Nadu government had on Monday given the go ahead to the controversial Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant, ending months of impasse that threatened the Indo-Russian venture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what