Coast Guard rescues fishermen
Nagapattinam: Averting a possible clash between 46 fishermen, who ventured into the sea from the district, and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the IMBL, the Coast Guard rescued them and brought them back, officials said on Friday.
The Nagapattinam fishermen were handed over to District Collector by the Coast Guard last night.
An argument had taken place between the Indian fishermen and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the International Maritime Boundary Line last night after the Lankan fishermen torn the fishing nets of the fishermen from here, District Collector T Munusamy said.
Angered by this, the Indian fishermen tried to chase the Lankan fishermen.
The Lankan Navy personnel who reached the spot tried to seize two Indian fishing boats alleging they had crossed the IMBL. However, the Indian Coast Guard, who also reached there, held talks with the Navy personnel and rescued the local fishermen and escorted them back to the shore, Munusamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened