Coast Guard rescues fishermen
Nagapattinam: Averting a possible clash between 46 fishermen, who ventured into the sea from the district, and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the IMBL, the Coast Guard rescued them and brought them back, officials said on Friday.
The Nagapattinam fishermen were handed over to District Collector by the Coast Guard last night.
An argument had taken place between the Indian fishermen and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the International Maritime Boundary Line last night after the Lankan fishermen torn the fishing nets of the fishermen from here, District Collector T Munusamy said.
Angered by this, the Indian fishermen tried to chase the Lankan fishermen.
The Lankan Navy personnel who reached the spot tried to seize two Indian fishing boats alleging they had crossed the IMBL. However, the Indian Coast Guard, who also reached there, held talks with the Navy personnel and rescued the local fishermen and escorted them back to the shore, Munusamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?