Coast Guard rescues fishermen
Nagapattinam: Averting a possible clash between 46 fishermen, who ventured into the sea from the district, and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the IMBL, the Coast Guard rescued them and brought them back, officials said on Friday.
The Nagapattinam fishermen were handed over to District Collector by the Coast Guard last night.
An argument had taken place between the Indian fishermen and their Sri Lankan counterparts near the International Maritime Boundary Line last night after the Lankan fishermen torn the fishing nets of the fishermen from here, District Collector T Munusamy said.
Angered by this, the Indian fishermen tried to chase the Lankan fishermen.
The Lankan Navy personnel who reached the spot tried to seize two Indian fishing boats alleging they had crossed the IMBL. However, the Indian Coast Guard, who also reached there, held talks with the Navy personnel and rescued the local fishermen and escorted them back to the shore, Munusamy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands