Coast Guard rescues nine TN fishermen
Kochi: A Tamil Nadu fishing trawler carrying nine fishermen, which was adrift in the rough seas following engine failure since June 6, has been safely towed to the shore by a Coast Guard Interceptor vessel in inclement weather.
A Coast guard press release said a distress signal was received by Coast Guard Station Vizhinjam from `MRCC Mumbai` early yesterday regarding a stranded fishing trawler FV St George with the fishermen approximately 47 nautical miles off Vizhinjam.
The newly commissioned Coast Guard`s interceptor boat immediately sailed out and overcoming the heavy swell and strong winds, it towed the trawler to the harbour and handed over to Assistant Director of Fisheries, Thiruvananthapuram last night, the release said.
The trawler had sailed from Colachal harbour on June 4 and was adrift in the rough seas since June 6 following engine failure due to a shaft malfunction.
Due to the rough weather, the engine could not be rectified, according to Johnson, Master of the vessel. The communication sets of the vessel were also not functioning.
"The conditions at sea were not conducive for towing operations and the mission was successfully accomplished due to competence and hardwork of the personnel onboard` said the Commanding Officer of the Ship, Deputy Commandant Deep Chandra Mathpal.
Station Commander of Indian Coast Guard, Vizhinjam, Commandant Athinarayanan, who was monitoring the progress of the mission, said the new vessel has given a cutting edge to the Coast Guard in providing humanitarian assistance in times of need.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire